Saturday, January 17, 2015

Review: The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons

The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons
Expected Publication: February 10th
Publisher: Tor Teen


The Handmaid’s Tale meets Blood Red Road in Glass Arrow, the story of Aya, who lives with a small group of women on the run from the men who hunt them, men who want to auction off breeding rights to the highest bidder.
In a world where females are scarce and are hunted, then bought and sold at market for their breeding rights, 15-year old Aya has learned how to hide. With a ragtag bunch of other women and girls, she has successfully avoided capture and eked out a nomadic but free existence in the mountains. But when Aya’s luck runs out and she’s caught by a group of businessmen on a hunting expedition, fighting to survive takes on a whole new meaning.

My Thoughts:


GIRL POWER!

This story isn't all about that of course but, it did give me the same shiver of rebellion that The Handmaiden's Tale did. The shiver comes from women empowering themselves to survive under extreme duress while living in a society where they are raised and breed like cattle & tossed away when they are no longer needed. Mrs. Simmons has once again captured those feelings that accompany the choices that need to be made when doing the right thing or just getting by. There is a phrase near the end of the book that has stuck with me all this time. I won't reveal who says it but it goes...

"We are just women. Why must you always try to be more?"
 I'm sure the intended effect was the soul burning anger I felt at these woman and the resolution the way they have resigned themselves to be nothing more.  The girls like the M.C. Aya, are few and far between. Most girls have been groomed and prepped for this their whole live. They are looking forward to going to "auction" to be brought by wealthy merchants. They will have a home and food (well food supplement pills really since apparently real food is only a thing for the extraordinarily wealthy) for a time being. Aya wasn't raised like these girls. She was raised wild in the mountains and knows how to take care of herself and her adopted rag tag family. It is no surprise that once she does get captured she will do anything to stop herself from going to auction. She is wild and hasn't been affected by the side effects of food supplement pills which makes her more susceptible to breeding and bearing a male child. Can you see the female oppression here? The history of how this world came to be was expertly woven into the story so when reading you really grasp the gravity of the situation. The world building is superb even though it seemed a bit weird in the beginning of the book.

I have been categorizing this as a fantasy for the longest time. It was only recently while talking with a friend that I realized this is more of a post apocalyptic/dystopian than anything. There is no magic in this world. Just some high tech beauty treatments that remold figures and removed freckles and of course the meal pills. There is also some crazy genetically mutated people that were very Hunger Games reminiscent.The only magic in this story was the determination and bravery of the characters and that was more than enough to hook me. There was a few who I did not like at all to begin with and just as they grow on Aya, they also grew on me. I really felt very connected to her for some reason. She was very transparent and the narration allowed for complete access to all her thoughts and emotions.

I also am a huge fan of any book that the author is able to conclude in one volume. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the series' but this was paced perfectly. I was RIVETED from start to finish. There was this amazing flow where the drama and intensity would build up to almost unbearable then break only to happen again in another situation. There is so much mystery surrounding Aya's past and all seems to reveal itself in time. The ending was absolutely BRILLIANT! If you read this book give yourself about 1/3 of the way in to really see what is going on. I promise you won't be disappointed.

5 snowflakes





11 comments:

  1. Great review! This is on my wishlist! Glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its almost time!! I love when books i am dying for are FINALLY released!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Brittany! I wasn't a fan of this author's debut series but this one seems too good to pass up and I can't resist a novel with feminist undertones, particularly when the author makes me care for the characters. Can't wait to read this myself! Fabulous review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are far enough apart where you will be able to enjoy this one. The characters are brilliant!! Hope you end up enjoying it!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds wonderful, I want to read this one now~ Especially since it's a standalone :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standalone are a dying breed but it's so refreshing to actually have an end ya know?

      Delete
  4. Yay!! I'm a big fan of her first series - Article 5. Eeeep! I'm so happy that you enjoyed this book. I'm dying to read it.

    Thank you for your observations and thoughts! <3

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & i hope you enjoy it as well! i am a HUGE fan of the Article 5 series. I had high hopes and wasn't let down. i don't think the world building was as good but the characters were way stronger.

      Delete
  5. I'm really keen on reading this one since I've heard such great things from so many people! And comparing it with the Handmaiden Tale... I cannot wait to read it!
    But, I thought this one was the first book in a series? Or is it a standalone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude I LOVED this book! It was one of my favorite reads last year. Such a great novel, especially with the threads of feminism and subtle romance. Love love love! *pushes book on everyone*

    Excellent review, Brittany!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also thought this was a fairytale, but I really like the sound of that post-apocalyptic/dystopian concept. Aya sounds like a perfect character for me and good endings are always a plus for me! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete