Thursday, January 9, 2014

Non-Review: Fates by Laine Bross

Fates (Fates, #1)Fates by Laine Bross
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: Feb 11, 2014
What if your destiny was to kill the one you love?

One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people’s fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she’s falling all over again—this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die.

In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?
My Thoughts:
So one of my New Years Resolutions is to not waste time on books that just aren't working for me.  When I first started reading I had to finish every book I read because well I just had I have no explanation other than that, but this year I am changing.  There are way too many books out there for me to keep doing this so yep I am going to start with giving a book 50% before pulling away. If I am not feeling it by 50% then that's it I'm done.  The second half of this resolution is that I still want to post my thoughts on why this book didn't work for me.  I am not going to rate the books I DNF but I still want to let our blog readers know what didn't work and some things that did.  Thus begins my year of the non-reviews!

Okay Fates had an interesting summary that pulled me in from the get go and man that opening scene was killer.  My first thoughts were woohoo and yep this is a me book.  Things didn't start going downhill until the middle of the book which is a real shame because up until then I was really liking it.  What killed it for me was the new world that the author created and threw Corinthe and Luc into.  It made no sense whatsoever and felt like a crazy Fae world.  I know that Corinthe is a Fate and that there would be some sort of strange world but this was just too out there for me and didn't fit with the book.  I might have been somewhat okay with this if this world would have been brought up in the beginning, but it wasn't and what was brought up in the beginning seemed to take a back seat to this crazy world.  

The storyline told in the beginning seemed strong.  We have someone who isn't who they seem to be, a girl trying to make it back to her homeland, and a boy who wants to save his sister and overcome his hardships.  Now I know we all know the formula for this type of book but if the formula is right then it can be a great book.  Fates should have stayed with this formula.  The author tried to put too much into a story that was already overly crowded and she ended up losing me.  The simple formula would have worked better especially with the twists that I saw coming, it could have been a brilliant read.

To sum it all up I liked the premise, the characters were also okay (I wish Corinthe would have talked about something else besides going home) and the twists that I think were coming looked to be awesome.  I didn't like all the flowery imagery and prose,  the crazy Fae world, and the story being overshadowed by too much world building.  

Did you like this one?  If so leave me a comment and you never know you could convince me to finish it! 

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh maaaaaan, seen a lot of people abandoning or giving Fates a low rating. Sorry it didn't work for you, Crystal! Life's too short for bad books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize its low rating until after I decided to not finish it. It was such a let down especially since it started out so good! I agree with you! On to better books!

      Delete
  2. Bummer! I love the cover, so I was interested in seeing what it's about. I'm glad to know that the first half was good...but it sounds like the second half would pull me out of it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is amazing! I really wish the inside could have been just as amazing. I hope you like it better if you read it =)

      Delete