Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock


 Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: May 8, 2012

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.

Kathleen Peacock is a mad genius. Hemlock is definitely one of the best books I have read this year and I am in awe of Ms. Peacock.

My goodness it is hard to start a review for this! I don’t even know where to start. If you have read the summary then you know the gest of what this book is about but don’t think for a second you know it all. There are so many twists and turns thrown in that I never knew who to trust and at one point I had condemned everybody, even Mac herself. That to me makes for a great story when you start to even doubt the main heroine. I don’t even know why I doubted her but I just thought this book is crazy enough to go in that direction. I love a story with secrets and this one definitely had it’s fill. I loved the parts with Amy, Mac’s BFF who died from a werewolf attack. She would pop up in Mac’s dreams and she was so creepy and I can’t think of the right word but she always left me shuddering when her scene was over. It was so brilliant of the author to throw all that in. It showed Mac that not everything was as it seemed without giving too much of the story away.

The romance in this book was subtle and I liked that. I at first wanted more heat but as the story progressed I saw that it was a good thing that it took a backseat. The story itself was beyond good enough to carry the characters without a heavy romance. I am a little worried about a triangle but I am hoping that Mac doesn’t disappoint us and stays strong and loyal to one particular boy. I won’t spoil it but I loved this boy and I really hope they get their HEA.

One more thing that ending! OMG was that mind blowing! I knew there was a sequel but I didn’t expect my heart to be ripped out!  I had to read that last chapter twice to make sure I read it right! Plus that last scene with Amy gave me goosebumps! I don’t know how I am going to survive waiting for the sequel!


                                                    5 Huge snowflakes
                                 

Find the author
Goodreads   Twitter   Facebook   Website   Blog

2 comments:

  1. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete