Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Rating: 5 Snowflakes


“At night she whispers his name in her sleep with intimacy and reverence. As if their bond is ordained by the gods.”

Finnikin of the Rock is revered as a masterpiece in my mind. This book blew me away! My dear friend Tina, gave me a bit of advice before I began my journey with Finnikin of the Rock. She advised me to take my time, and that it is a book to be savored. She was so right. Finnikin of the Rock, is one mesmerizing story. Melina Marchetta has taken my love of reading to a whole new level.

I grabbed my notebook and my favorite pen, sat down and started my journey into Marchetta’s world.

This story is about 3 best friends, a pledge, a royal family and the land they love and call home. Lumatere has been taken over by an imposter king and the royal family has been murdered. This is a journey to take back Lumatere, and bring its people back to their homeland. There is such a deep, intriguing story within those pages that you must read it for yourself to get the full experience.

The plot is solid, the writing phenomenal and the characters will leave an imprint on you. Finnikin was an outstanding character to read about. He has a deep love of his land and the people within those walls of Lumatere. He grows from a boy to a man. Finnikin thought he had it all figured out and knew what he wanted to be when he grew up, but fate had other plans for him and his friends. There are trials, action, adventure, romance, a prophecy and a deep commitment and love that combine together for one amazing story. Evanjalin appears simple, but she’s a force to be reckoned with, a true warrior. The secondary characters brought so much to the story. There are a lot of them, but it wouldn’t have been as intense and meaningful without all of them. Then there is Froi, the thief from Sarnak. He is another amazing character and will touch your heart. I love how he stayed true to what he believed in.

My favorite quote:

“I prayed to see you one more time. It’s all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I’ll lead them west.” (Trevanion, Fin’s father) “We have a dilemma, then,” Finnikin said fiercely. “Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?”

1 comment:

  1. This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

    Behance.net
    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete